Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Needy Students

This time of year is my absolute favorite....I get soooo into Holiday decorating, presents, family time, singing Christmas carols, watching Christmas movies, and of course pigging out on all the fudge and Christmas sweets my mother makes! However, this time of year is also one of the most depressing....people who do not have families to celebrate Christmas with, children who do not get toys from santa because their parents can't afford to do Santa, and people who go hungry on Christmas Day because they have no money for food. This year, it is having an extra dramatic effect on me because I see first hand students who I know won't have a present to open Christmas morning, won't have parents and grandparents to celebrate Christmas with, and many who will not have turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. We had a staff meeting this afternoon where our counselor shared stories of children who are in desperate need of everyday essentials and it brought tears to my eyes....hearing that so many of our students do not have underwear, socks, feminine products, coats, food, etc. It made me literally want to go out and spend every dime I have on those kids in need. Our school is now in the process of starting an organization where the teachers are donating any items that are sitting in our closets taking up space for our students to discretely take whatever they need. I really hope this is a sucessful program because there are so many children out there in need. I know I've got lots to donate! I'm just thankful that I have a loving family, food to eat, and am able to give my child toys on Christmas morning. So...I hope you all will take time to be thankful for the things you have not only this holiday season, but everyday because there are so many out there who are so less fortunate!

2 comments:

Sally said...

How is that working? We need to do that in Fordyce. We are doing an Angel Tree, but it's not enough. I've been pretty depressed today thinking about how lots of my kids won't have Christmas.

whitney howard said...

Hey Sally...from what I understand our Principal is going to assign each department something...like one department for coats, one for food, etc but no one is limited to what they bring. Then we are going to put it in a room and students can take what they need. It is so sad at Christmas time and our principal reminded us all of something...that its not just Christmas time when they struggle its year round so anything we can do year round is wonderful...but I must say it is especially depressing at Christmas time! Hope ya'll can get something like this at Fordyce.